County police raid North Point Flea Market on Saturday
Wednesday, 20 February 2013 11:54

Vendors selling counterfeit items were targeted

by Bill Gates

    Baltimore County Police officers raided the North Point Flea Market on Saturday in response to reports of vendors selling counterfeit merchandise.
    The action was called, appropriately enough, “Operation Flea Collar.”
    Law enforcement officers entered the flea market premises at around 10 a.m. and began serving search warrants on approximately 16 vendors, according to a statement from the Baltimore County Police.
    The raid was the culmination of an investigation that had been ongoing for months after complaints were received about counterfeit property being sold, according to county police spokeswoman Cpl. Cathy Batton.

County detectives had been working with representatives from the Recording Industry Association of America, the Motion Picture Association of America, Stumar Investigations and Walters Investigative Services, according to the police statement.
    Stumar Investigations and Walters Investigative Services are trademark representatives for many major brand names.
    The vendors who were served with the search warrants are alleged to have sold counterfeit items under brand names such as Nike, Apple, North Face, Polo, Ugg, True Religion and Timberland to undercover detectives throughout the investigation.
    Undercover detectives also reportedly were able to purchase illegal copies of movies and music from vendors at the flea market.
    The owners of the flea market were not named in any of the warrants, police said. Specific vendors who rent space at the flea market were targeted.
    No arrests were made on Saturday.
    “It will take several weeks to process all of the evidence we recovered,” Batton said. “Charges will be placed after that.”
    While the raid was underway, officers shut down the flea market and blocked the exits to ensure the vendors were unable to leave and no potential evidence was removed prior to being seized by detectives.
    Shoppers were asked to leave the market, and had to show identification at the door to verify they were not among the people named on the search warrants.