Future of discontinued Dundalk Avenue bus stop remains unclear
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 13:34
 by Nicole Rodman

    A decision regarding the now-discontinued northbound bus stop at Dundalk Avenue and North Center Place may be imminent.
    According to Paul Shepard, MTA deputy chief public information officer, the fate of the stop should be announced in the fall.
    In a statement to The Eagle last week, Shepard indicated that the MTA continues to work on a resolution to the issue.
    “The Maryland Transit Administration seeks to deliver quality service to all of its customers,” he explained. “So in the matter of the temporarily discontinued bus stop at Dundalk Avenue and North Center Place, we continue to work with elected officials and local stakeholders to find a remedy,” he continued, adding, “We expect a decision to be reached in the fall of 2014.”
    The stop, which serves the number 10 and 20 bus lines, was temporarily discontinued in February amid complaints from nearby residents and businesses.
    Among the complaints lodged were allegations of public urination, trash accumulation, drug use, drunkenness, fighting and use of offensive language at the stop.
    In the aftermath of the discontinuation, the MTA sought public input on whether or not the stop should be closed permanently.
    Shepard indicated that this input would be taken into account when a decision was made.
   
Since that time, the stop has remained technically closed, though observers have reported continued pick-ups and drop-offs at the site.
    As Shepard noted in April, while bus drivers were told that the stop is closed, the ultimate decision on whether or not to use the stop is up to the individual drivers.
    “If a driver has an elderly or disabled patron who requests to get off at that stop, and bringing that patron to a stop further away from the requested stop in some way endangers them, the driver is put in a very difficult position and must consider the safety of his or her passenger first,” he noted.
    According to one local bus rider, the closure of the stop has caused him considerable hardship.
    “I am sick and tired of having to walk my groceries three blocks instead of the half block I used to walk” the rider told The Eagle .
    While he acknowledged that trash accumulation at the stop was a problem, the rider claimed that the issue was caused by an often-overflowing trash can.
    “Add a can — problem solved,” he noted.
    The rider also denied allegations of drug dealing at the site.
    “I’ve been using that stop for decades and have never witnessed a deal myself,” he said.
    While debate continues, the ultimate fate of the stop should be announced within the next few months.