All three local teams saw their seasons end in the first round of their respective regional basketball tournaments.

Only Dundalk came close to extending its season for at least one more game, as the Owls held a nine-point lead over Kenwood in the third quarter before falling 37-28 on Friday at Kenwood.

The Owls were seeded fifth in the Class 3A North Region Section II tournament, while the Bluebirds were seeded fourth.

Patapsco, seeded sixth in the section, lost at third-seeded Bel Air on Friday 64-23.

Sparrows Point, seeded seventh in the Class 1A North Region Section I, lost at second-seeded Chesapeake 61-24 on Friday.

Dundalk led Kenwood 21-12 at halftime and 23-14 when the Owls just ... stopped scoring.

Twelve straight scoreless possessions covering nearly six minutes helped the Bluebirds close the gap to 23-22 with 4:30 remaining in the third quarter.

Then the Owls’ drought spread to Kenwood, which didn’t score for the rest of the quarter.

A free throw by France Jimenez ended Dundalk’s slump, and the Owls still clung to a 24-22 lead entering the fourth quarter.

But while the Bluebirds’ offense took flight in the final eight minutes, the Owls remained grounded.

Kenwood went ahead 25-24 in the first minute of the fourth quarter. Dundalk tied the game at 25 on a free throw by Richae Lacey, but the Owls managed just three points the rest of the way, on a follow-up by Elizabeth Stanley.

That made the score 29-27, Kenwood, with 4:08 remaining. Another free throw by Lacey kept the Owls within 33-28 with 2:6 left to play, but Dundalk went scoreless on its last six possessions while Kenwood clinched the win with four straight free throws in the final 35 seconds.

The Owls had started strong, with 15 points in the first quarter before their shooting went cold and they managed only 13 points over the final three quarters.

Lacey led the Owls with 11 points. Jimenez scored seven points and I’Jaiyon Wooden scored six.

Sparrows Point, facing Chesapeake for the third time this season, knew it faced enormous odds. The Bayhawks won both regular season games, 54-27 and 49-36, and both games were at Sparrows Point.

Friday’s game was at Chesapeake, and was over quickly.

The Bayhawks took a 19-7 lead in the first quarter and led 28-11 at halftime.

Chesapeake held Sparrows Point to three points in the third quarter and cruised into the final frame leading 40-14.

The Pointers finished with just one more field goal (eight) than successful free throw (seven). No Sparrows Point player had more than five points.

In the final regular-season game for both teams, Sparrows Point hosted Dundalk on Feb. 20 and won 61-32.

The Pointers led 31-14 at halftime. The Owls hung close and were within striking distance entering the fourth quarter, down 48-30, but the Pointer defense held Dundalk to just one basket over the final eight minutes.

Destiny Perry and Sydney Monaldi each had 10 points for Sparrows Point. Nickie Mason scored nine points, and Brianna Cooper scored eight.

Lacey scored 14 to lead Dundalk, while Caylee Hafner scored nine points.

Follow me on Twitter