Fire at senior home displaces about 100 residents, injures four in Edgemere

Police and families gather outside St. Luke’s Place, a senior living apartment complex in Edgemere where a fourth-floor fire displaced about 100 residents.

Most of the residents at St. Luke's Place in Edgemere who were temporarily displaced yesterday following a fire on the fourth floor were able to return last night.

About 26 residents are still not able to return to the apartments, and were able to stay in hotels last night, Shauna Prince, a spokesperson for Catholic Charities, which runs the apartments, said on Thursday.

On Wednesday morning, a fire in a fourth-floor apartment at the Edgemere senior living community put a resident, who lived in the apartment where the fire started, in critical condition due to burns and smoke inhalation, according to local Fire Chief Tim Rostkowski.

Three others were transported to hospitals with non-life threatening injuries, he said outside the apartments at about noon yesterday. At that time, about 100 were displaced, and it was unclear who would be able to stay.

Prince said residents who are still display had electrical issues due to the fire would be able to return first, and those with water damage would be able to return later.

A vigil was held last night at St. Luke's Church, right next to the apartments, last night, where the church collected money to assist those who were affected by the fire at the vigil.

The fire on Wednesday "went a lot better than you would have thought it would have," Linda Kratsas, who lives on the third floor of the apartment, said at the vigil. She was able to return to her apartment last night.