From elementary students learning ballroom dance to high school students performing their own choreography, Baltimore County Public Schools will showcase dance instruction during the sixth annual Take a Leap Baltimore County Dance Celebration.
“During Take a Leap, we’re pleased to support our students and the larger Baltimore County dance community with opportunities to take their dance training to new heights,” said Sonia Synkowski, president of the Maryland Dance Education Association and dance resource teacher for Baltimore County Public Schools.
The celebration, which began Jan. 4, and continues through March 8, features national and regional performers, master classes with guest artists, and student dance and choreography showcases.
BCPS will be involved in the following ways:
BCPS Student Choreography Showcase
Thursday, Jan. 31, at 7 p.m.
Patapsco High School and Center for the Arts, 8100 Wise Ave., 21222
Tickets ($5/adults; $3/student and seniors) will be available at the door. Only cash or checks accepted.
Ballroom Dance instruction
Throughout February, BCPS will offer its annual ballroom dance instruction for Grade 5 students. The weeklong lessons end with inviting parents in to see their children dance and dance with them. The ballroom dance schedule for 2019 is:
February 4 – 8
- Dundalk Elementary, 11:10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Edgemere Elementary, 2:20 – 3:20 p.m.
- Padonia Elementary, 8:50 – 9:40 a.m.
- Pot Spring Elementary, 9:20 – 10:10 a.m.
- Seventh District Elementary, 2:20 – 3:10 p.m.
- Sparks Elementary, 11:05 – 11:55 a.m.
- February 11 – 15
- Rodgers Forge Elementary, 9:10 – 10 a.m.
February 25 – March 1
Chase Elementary, 9:10 – 10 a.m.
- Fullerton Elementary, 9:40 – 10:30 a.m.
- Middlesex Elementary, 2:50 – 3:40 p.m.
2nd Annual Dance Your Heart Out Charity Concert
Saturday, Feb. 9, at 7 p.m.
Hereford High School, 17301 York Rd., 21120
Dancers from The Moving Company Ensembles, Hereford High School Dance Company, Dulaney High School Dance Company, and Sudbrook Middle Magnet Dancers will perform to benefit the One Love Foundation. This event is hosted by The Moving Company Dance Center. Tickets ($10/adult, $5/children ages 3-7, free/children under 3) will be available at the door.
Koresh Dance Company residency/performance
For the sixth year running, the Gordon Center for Performing Arts and Jewish Community Center of Greater Baltimore is bringing an internationally renowned dance company to Baltimore County —this year, the Philadelphia-based Koresh Dance Company — and sponsoring extensive outreach activities with the company for BCPS students.
More than 400 BCPS students will attend a student-only performance by Koresh Dance – free of charge. These students represent Deep Creek, Deer Park Magnet, Stemmers Run, and Windsor Mill middle schools; and Dulaney, Hereford, Lansdowne, Milford Mill, New Town, and Owings Mills high schools.
In addition, BCPS students will participate in the following free of charge master classes with Koresh Dance:
Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Deer Park Middle Magnet School, 3 – 4:30 p.m.
- Franklin High School, 8:30 – 10 a.m.
- Pikesville Middle School, 11:30 a.m. – 1:07 p.m.
- Sudbrook Magnet Middle School, 11:35 a.m. – 1:35 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 14
- Franklin Middle School, 12:40 – 1:30 p.m.
- New Town High School, 7:45 – 9:30 a.m.
- Owings Mills High School, 7:25 – 8:50 a.m.
- Maryland Dance Alliance
- Friday, Feb. 22, at 7 p.m. (snow date: February 25)
- Gordon Center for Performing Arts, 3506 Gwynnbrook Ave., 21117
The Maryland Dance Education Association presents an engaging program of student and community dancers from throughout the State. Tickets ($10/general admission) will be available at the door.
The full Take a Leap calendar and ticket information are available. The Take a Leap Baltimore County Dance Celebration is presented by the Baltimore County Commission on Arts & Sciences in partnership with the Gordon Center for Performing Arts and the Baltimore region’s dance community.