EDGEMERE — A four-goal spurt over the last half of the second quarter proved to be the difference as the Sparrows Point boys lacrosse team edged visiting Eastern Tech 7-5 on Thursday.

With the score tied 2-2 early in the second quarter, the Pointers scored four unanswered goals to take a 6-2 lead into halftime.

Two of the goals came in the last two minutes of the half.

Sparrows Point was held to just one goal in the second half, but the Pointer defense made the four-goal lead stand up.

It was the second straight win for Sparrows Point after three straight losses (which followed three wins to open the season), giving the Pointers a 5-3 record.

Sparrows Point won at Western Tech 13-4 on April 12.

Jeremy Smith scored with 1:50 remaining in the first half to give the Pointers a 5-2 lead over Eastern Tech.

Sparrows Point regained possession, resulting in a shot by Ryan Merbach, but it was blocked. But on the ensuing clear, the Mavericks dropped the ball and it was scooped up by Dylan Paugh, who deposited it in the net for a 6-2 lead with 33 seconds remaining in the half.

The Pointers won the faceoff and got off two more shots in the final eight seconds, but one bounced over the goal and the second was blocked.

Eastern Tech rebounded and dominated the opening minutes of the third quarter, scoring two goals in the first two minutes to pull to within 6-4.

Two more Maverick shots were saved by Pointer goalie Zachary Barnickel, then Eastern Tech was awarded an extra-man opportunity after a penalty against Sparrows Point.

The shorthanded Pointer defense kept the Mavericks from making it a one-goal game. Two shots were saved by Barnickel, and two more shots were interrupted by Pointer defenders.

The momentum then switched back to Sparrows Point, and Paugh scored an extra-man goal for a 7-4 lead entering the fourth quarter.

Defense dominated the final 12 minutes, with Sparrows Point unable to score and Eastern Tech held to one goal on five shots. Both teams had two extra-man opportunities in the quarter, with the Mavericks converting on on with 7:32 left to play.

Paugh finished with three goals, while Jeremy Smith scored two. Tyler Phipps and Ryan Merbach each had a goal.

Sparrows Point does not have another home game until the regular-season finale against Catonsville on May 1.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.